Continuous Quality Improvement toolkit
This online toolkit is one of the Systems of Care Infrastructure toolkits from the Technical Assistance and Evaluation Center, funded by the Children’s Bureau. The toolkits provide practical activities, guiding questions, and tips and products from the field for the planning and development of fundamental components that lay the groundwork for implementation.
Taking Action: Keys to Using Data and Information (PDF – 700 KB)
This issue of Child Welfare Matters from the National Child Welfare Resource Center for Organizational Improvement focuses on the most challenging aspect of quality improvement (QI) systems — using data and information to improve practice and outcomes. Some components of effective QI systems have been implemented by child welfare agencies — adopting clear outcomes and standards and developing systems to collect data and information.
Today most agencies have a large amount of data and information — from information systems, case review processes, surveys and other sources. Agencies have had less success using data and information to identify and implement action steps to improve performance — but this is the critical component of an effective QI system. This issue highlights different aspects of strong child welfare QI systems — where agencies conduct ongoing analyses and take action that results in improved practice and outcomes.
- Webinar: Strengthening Your System's Use of Data
This webinar discusses ways child welfare systems can use data effectively to inform recruitment, development, and support of foster, adoptive, and kinship families and provides strategies for advancing cross-unit collaboration and prioritizing data. View the webinar recording on our YouTube channel. Read more and access webinar materials and slides.
- The National Resource Center for Permanency and Family Connections has a web page on Continuous Quality Improvement, including numerous links to resources, tools, and examples from States.
- The Child Welfare Outcomes Report Data from the Children’s Bureau includes updated data from 2008 through 2011. The site provides access to data from the National Child Abuse and Neglect Data System (NCANDS) and the Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System (AFCARS) as well as other statistics collected by the Children’s Bureau. Users can build customized reports on key child welfare indicators for specific States, federal regions, and years.
- Children’s Bureau Express article on "Building Child Welfare’s CQI Capacity" from September 2013
- The Children’s Bureau released guidance on Continuous Quality Improvement in its 2012 Information Memorandum on Establishing and Maintaining Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) Systems in State Child Welfare Agencies (PDF – 325 KB).
- The Children’s Bureau has established a Child Welfare CQI Training Academy, a rigorous but practical training program for busy child welfare professionals.
Looking for training or technical assistance?
Find out more about what we offer, and get in touch.